Thursday, March 27, 2014

Double Knitting Workshops held at Woolbearers last weekend were a big hit.  Thanks to Alasdair for coming down to Woolbearers from Boston, where it was a little warmer and we didn't get any snow.  Can't wait to see all the new double knitting projects you are making.

Now I know it's been a while since I last blogged. These are some of the things I've been up to:

Vogue Live Knitting
Here's our booth

I dyed up kits of 20 different colorways for knitting Tin Can Knits pattern "Vivid".  Sold out at the show, but I've since dyed more and have for sale in the shop and on my online store.

I actually finished a sweater (yay). Last Fall we started a KAL for Kate Davies Braid Hills Cardigan.  I decided to use my hand dyed sport weight merino and am really pleased with the results.  Kind of hard to see in the first picture -- the second picture, while not true to color, is a better representation of the cable work.

Everyone loves those buttons!

I finished the wedding shawl for Jen a long time ago, but didn't put the flowers on, because Jen thought it should be lined.  So, I bought some fabric and proceeded to line it.  Then I realized it wouldn't have any stretch with the fancy fabric I had, which is key to getting the shawl on.  I went with Jen to her final dress fitting the other night and we all (dressmaker included -- thank you Rosemary) decided not to line it.  Since the bodice is beaded, she will have to be careful getting it on and off.  The pattern for the shawl is the Summer Rose Capelet and I double stranded the Lotus Mink yarn. It is just so yummy.  I hope the bride likes the final product.

My daughter, Emma is going to be one of the bridesmaids.   Since there are 5 of them, I did not volunteer to knit shawls for the bridesmaids, but I really wanted to make Emma something. So here's a little shrug she can wear to the rehearsal dinner.  It's the Gaia Shrug pattern made out of Shulana's Mersilca, an aran weight, wool/cashmere/silk blend. Knits up in a day or two.

I bought my dress for Jen's wedding a few weeks ago and decided at the last minute to knit myself a shawl.  I have always wanted to do the Swallowtail shawl, and since Jen didn't want any lace in her wedding shawl, I just had to make it.  I used Jaggerspun Zephyr wool/silk laceweight and used beads instead of doing the dreaded nupps. Love the way it came out.

Since I had a deadline for the shawl, all of my other projects were on hold.  But I am now slowly getting everything else finished.  Only 5 more rows on Ysolda Teague's Follow Your Arrow shawl.  Glad I used my hand dyed fingering weight yarn, because I had to dye more yarn to finish.
Here is my Harvest Cardigan.  I'm making a child's size in hopes of finishing quickly.  Using Madelintosh Vintage and just love the way it knits.

My Strokkur is coming along slowly.  I had to rip out about 10 inches --- I put the stitch markers for side shaping in the wrong places initially and just couldn't salvage it any other way. Finally on the sleeves and then for the fun stuff -- fair isle yoke!  I'm sure it will be ready for next winter.  Making this out of Lopi Lite.

There are lots more UFO's -- but I am determined that 2014 is going to be the year of finishing things!