Wednesday, August 31, 2011

No, it's not December and Chanukah has not begun.  After the hurricane I lost power.  My son said that one good thing about being Jewish is that you always have candles.  So, I brought out the menorah, lit a few candles and knit peacefully.  There was no TV, radio, computer or other distractions.  Just me and  my knitting.  I was really fortunate.  I was able to hook up my sump pump to my neighbors generator with about 18 extension cords going between the two houses, so my basement didn't flood.  I had to keep the doors open ever so slightly to accomodate the cords, and had to booby trap the doors, so the kitties wouldn't escape which they inevitably tried and almost succeeded.  The power came back about 3:30 am on Tuesday morning.  I feel so very lucky.  I know there has been great devastation to other parts of New Jersey.  Mill Race Village, where my store used to be was hit particularly hard. Lots of folks told me how soothing knitting was during the hurricane.  I have to agree. I am so glad that I know how to knit.

Here are some completed projects from classes that we have.  Jamie likes our Tuesday night knitting class and is gung ho on making things for her kids.  She recently found out a third one is on the way, so she just had to make a pixie hat from the Vintage Baby Knits book.   This one is made out of Jojoland Superwash Melody and is cute as can be. All we need is the baby to model it for us.

 And here is her Baby Surprise jacket out of Jojoland Rhythm Superwash.  This baby will be well dressed.

A finished poncho from Mary, modeled by Lisa.  This one is knit out of Cascade Lana Grande. I hear ponchos are coming back in a big way this fall.

 Jeanne was constantly coming in for more Cascade 220, I couldn't imagine what she was making.  Here it is -- Babette's Blanket, crocheted out of Cascade 220 and Plymouth Worsted Superwash Merino.  She did a fabulous job.
 Janet has been knitting up a storm (no pun intended).  She completed 3 sweaters, several scarves and hats and is working on 2 baby blankets this summer.  This is the Wallaby she made for her sister, who tried it on and it fit perfectly!
 Jane made this Wrap Me up Shawl this summer using SWTC Karaoke and trimmed it with Plymouth Worsted Superwash Merino.  It's going to look great over a black coat.

We've been getting in tons of new yarn. Here's a little preview:

Balder from Viking -- it's a chunky superwash yarn, great for baby blankets


Bazinga from Plymouth, a self-striping chunky wool/acrylic blend

This is Voyage from Berocco, made of an alpaca/nylon blend it has a chained construction for a light and airy feel.

 Casbah -- merino/cashmere blend sock yarn by Handmaiden
 New Noro Kureyon and Silk Garden colors
 Juli is a chunky alpaca/nylon blend with a little bit of glitz
 Lustrous Extrafine Merino DK -- merino/nylon blend that really glows
 Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere sock yarn
Classic Elite's Vista -- alpaca/merino blend


Classic Elite Toboggan -- chunky wool/alpaca blend -- great for hats, mittens, scarves and sweaters



And here is Rowan Fine Lace -- A Suri Alpaca/Merino Blend -- there's a book of patterns for this yarn coming out in a few weeks -- can't wait to see all of the beautiful shawls.

No comments: