Thursday, March 08, 2007


Don't You Wish Your Girlfriend Was A Hot Knitter Like Me?

Ok, picture this. A moderately obese, middle-aged female in flannel pjs, hair in a scrunchy, sitting cross legged on the couch amidst four hog tied dogs and several overflowing knitting bags. On the TV comes a dozen (more or less) half naked, young and fit girls, singers, looking for the next Pussy Cat Dolls or Pussy Dolls Singers or something like that, gyrating and flagrating (great non word). Embarressed, I look around for the remote which is in the mess, hoping to change it before my husband of 38 years looks up from his magazine, but, alas, it is too late. He sees them, we make eye contact and have a good laugh. He's happy I am spending my life doing something that makes me so happy.

Thank god I am not a teenager any more. I never have to worry about getting a bikini wax. The last time I got stopped for a traffic violation, the policeman laughed and gave me a warning after I asked him to block the sun shining on my face so he wouldn't see my whiskers. I can pretty much do whatever I want as long as I don't hurt any one's feelings. Anything I want to knit, I can knit. Whatever yarn I want, my wonderful business partner will get for me. I meet interesting, talented women everyday who are excited about creating something beautiful. Women come into the store, sit to knit, and it is almost instant friendship. I spent an hour with Karen today and we shared stories from our heart while knitting small modular squares our of Shetland wool. It was pretty therapeutic.

So I have added yet another project, the Bounced Check Jacket from the Simply Knit book. I knit one the first year Woolbearers opened out of a wool and hemp blend, hand dyed by Dzined. It was a fun, easy and impressive project and I have always wanted to knit another one, but out of the Jamieson dk weight shetland the pattern called for. We have a huge selection of colors and that alone is inspiration for knitting. The first cube is filled with all the reds and roses, so I picked from that cube. I rarely knit with those colors, yet they really are my colors.

A new thing I am trying out is not so easy; I'm writing a pattern for an entrelac bag I designed on the needles. Didn't know it was hard to do this after the fact. But I am determined because the bag is so cute, (see picture) and I want to do another one. It's knit of our thick and thin, worsted weight space dyed yarn. Just two skeins, no color changes, easy as can be. The rose is hand dyed woolen rug hooking fabric, created by Pattiann Finch. We have a selection of wool and silk ribbon flowers, some with hooked centers by Pattiann for sale. They are great embellishments for sweaters and bags.

Nicky Epstein's trunk show got to Woolbearers a week early and will be in the store until March 18th. If you want to be inspired, please come in and take a look at the sweaters, shawls and scarves we have. There is one coat that is a little fun and different, but the rest of the show is gorgeous.

Ok, time to go. Asap I will post some information about painted warps, the latest project going on in the studio.