Tuesday, June 03, 2008

New Stuff From the Barn
Some of you know that I need inspiraton to dye; color doesn't come easily to me, unlike my partner, who can't dye her ideas fast enough! I use a color wheel continuously and have to read about it and look at it. Then, something will spark and I'll get an idea. Two books have been like bibles to me lately; Deb Menz Colorworks, and an old, out of print early Interweave publication called The New Dyer from 1979. It looks like it has been through hell; nothing like thumbing through a book with dye soaked rubber gloves. The title states that it comes with Colorcue hue analysis aide, which sounds strangely like something I used to wash my legs during bathing after I had my hip replaced. Four acetate overlays make up the aides. My problem is that you should be able to use them right in the dye kitchen in order to match colors and I'm just too messy and would ruin them. So I look at color, which is so subjective, and try to carry the memory of it into the barn where I dye and keep the illusion of the color while I am mixing dye powders. I know there is a better way, and I am working toward it, after many, many years of dyeing!! Anyway, the colorway above is supposed to be a smokey, mysterious blend of olive drab, royal blue, a dark maroon, and five other colors. It turns out bright and cheerful!!! Not enough black. But I do like it and am calling it Homage to Kaffe Fassett.

Above is just garden variety Matt's Tatts, more green in the picture than it really is.




And this is Biker Chick!!! It too, should be a little drabber, but I really like it. It's orange, red- violet and blue- green and everything in between. I'm going to the barn early tomorrow to do some more experimenting.

Customers! We get lots of inspiration from them, too!


Racheal found us on Ravelry, and when she moved to the area from Manhattan, she came right to the store. Her adorable top is the Evening Star sweater from the Spring 2006 Interweave Knits.

This is proof that you can use your stash for years to come; our friend, Doris, brought in the twenty year old Bernat Lock Spun Shetland and the pattern support for it. She had enough of the green to do the sweater but just needed the contrasting colors, so the Jameison. You should feel better about your yarn buying now.

Noah came in with his grandma today to do a little browsing....it was his first shopping trip with her!! Can't wait to see you again, Noah!


This great group of gals are from the Bucks County knitting group, Knitting Nuts! I only had to take one picture and they are all smiling! Come back soon!

No comments: