Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Low Tech is the way I would describe using a nostepinne. It is usually a very nicely carved piece of wood that one uses to make a center pull ball. Here is the one that I own. Can't remember where I bought it, probably at Rhinebeck. Pictured next to it are two modern nostes - made by one of my beginning knitting students, Kelly. She used old remote controls. Works the same way -- great recycling!
Using another low tech device, Stephanie got her husband to wind 2400 yards of laceweight merino yarn from Cherry Tree Hill.
Mary came into the shop because she needed more yarn to make the Dead Fish Hat pattern from Knitty.com. She had to do it using Nemo's colors. Looks great, Mary! While she was there, another customer wanted to know what pattern Mary used. She called me later on and I was on the phone saying "Yes, it's the Dead Fish" -- I hope nobody was walking into the shop at the same time.
Jill's ruffled scarf is made out of Sterling Silver sock yarn hand dyed by Woolbearers -- sorry the picture is so dark, the closeup shows off the yarn and the silver specks better.
Marna's vest out of Malabrigo worsted and the pink stuff (probably some Woolbearers' hand dyed) looks fabulous. The back really show off the subtle colors of the Malabrigo.
I couldn't let the entire winter go by without knitting up just one cowl. I did this one out of Classic Elite Lush. Yummy to knit with and so soft. The pattern is the Morningside Neckwarmer by Jared Flood. It took a while to get comfortable with the stitch, but once I got going it was a snap to finish.

No comments: