Wednesday, March 28, 2012

So, you are finally finishing up that project and discover as you are binding off that the bind off is too tight.  That is what happened as I was finishing up my new Meandres cowl.  The directions merely said bind off, so I complied and bound off in the usual way (knit 2, slip the very first stitch over and off, knit one, repeat the process).  I bound off about 5 inches and noticed it was just too tight for this light and airy cowl.  The cowl is knit out of Manos Serena on size 7 needles and has a very soft and airy feel to it.  So, I ripped back to the beginning and began hunting for a stretchier bind off.  Now, I could have tried the trick of binding off with a bigger needle size, but I am pretty good about binding off and not pulling too tightly and still getting an even bind off.  I wanted a different kind of bind off.  I looked at Jeny's Suprisingly Stretchy Bind off and tried it out.  I just didn't like the look.  I'm sure it's great for socks.  Cat Bordhi has a nice video about it.  I looked some more and remembered that last night, in my beginner knitting class, I was showing one of my students how to do an i-cord bind-off for her Oregon Tote.  I always like the way the i-cord bind off gives your project such a finsihed look, so that is what I chose. 
I-Cord Bind Off
It's really easy -- cast on an extra 3 stitches (I use a cable cast on).  Knit these 3 stitches.  Put them back on the left needle.  *Knit 2 of those 3 stitches. Knit the 3rd stitch and the next stitch on the needle through the back loop together --- one stitch bound off.  Put the three stitches from your right needle back onto the left needle and repeat the process from *.  Voila -- a nice clean decorative edge.  There is something very relaxing about doing this bind-off too -- an extra bonus.
Love this cowl -- a great addition to your summer wardrobe.





More new yarns-- Three Irish Girls Adorn Sock




















From Noro -- Ayatori and Karuta




O-Wool's Balance

















Here are the results from our Needlefelted Gnomes class



No comments: