Thursday, May 23, 2013

NEW BEGINNINGS AGAIN --- it seems like only yesterday that I wrote about taking my son up to college for the first time and how he wouldn't let me take his picture as I had done every first day of school  since kindergarten.  Well, he just graduated college and he let me take lots of pictures.  Someone is growing up.


















I finished the Little Arrowhead Shawl (designer - Pam Allen) project for my friend Pat -- I stayed with her during graduation and have been wanting to make something for her for the longest time.  The shawl took two skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca/Silk and I finished it in no time.  A simple lace pattern that was very satisfying to knit.







Speaking of finishing --- I actually finished another project this week and wore it during graduation. weekend.  It's the Melrose Tank, designed by Ruth Garcia-Alantud and it was in the  Knitscene Summer 2013 issue.  Now, she designed  it with pleats in the midriff section.  I don't need any attention called to my midriff, so I took them out and used a lot less yardage -- only 3 skeins of Shibui Staccato in fact.  This was a fast knit -- the yarn seemed to glide off the needles. I have to admit that I am a sucker for anything with silk in it.  I loved the icord edging around the armholes and neck too.

Went down to Maryland Sheep and Wool 2 two weeks ago.  I haven't been able to go for the last few years, so this was a real treat - it was a perfect day.  Scored a skein of Wollmeise sock yarn from a fabulous yarn shop called Vulcan's Rest Fibers from Chesapeake City, Maryland.   I also bought lots of fleece.  Now, I only have 200 lbs of romney in my basement.  But when I saw all that beautiful fresh fleece, I couldn't resist.  Bought some merino, romney and finn x.  I started carding the finn x and just love it -- can't wait to spin it up.

I found some silk hankies and silk cocoons.   We'll be using these in our Spinning with Silk class with Barb Johns












Need a new project?  Here are some new shawls/scarves that I found. Free pattern from Churchmouse Yarns & Tea called Racing Raindrops Scarf -- it's made with one skein of Rowan Fine Lace and beads -- I just got a new order of beads in too!













The Resistance Shawl that is in the new Knitscene Accessories has an interesting construction.  I started one last night out of  Frog Tree Alpaca sport. Like I need another project!






3 comments:

msloloknitter said...

Like everything as usual Myra. Congrats on your son's graduation! Hope to visit the shop on Sunday.

msloloknitter said...

Congrats on your son's graduation!! Hope to see you in the shop on Sunday!

woolbearers said...

thanks,Loren -- hope you can come by on Sunday!